Puett.. So close.. so close...

I need a thermometer. I'd love to know what the temperature is at Puett. It seems the Walleye are starting to do their thing. We took the boat to the Dolores parks office to get it registered. I now have a legally registered boat and a legally registered trailer. Weird.

The Navajo State Parks office wouldn't register the boat without a bill of sale. That's cool and all because they don't want people registering stolen boats. Of course, people who steal boats would NEVER fake a bill of sale, so I applaud their clever vigilance. I explained that I have about $200 in boat and trailer combined and is it really that big of a deal? Apparently it is. My fly rod and reel cost about $200, I wonder if the DOW will make me show a bill of sale for it before I can get a fishing license next year? The Dolores parks office, on the other hand, figured that I'm perjuring myself if the boat is stolen so they'll register it. If I showed the Navajo parks office a fake bill of sale I'd be guilty of perjury if the boat was stolen. Beauracracy at its best here. Thanks to the great people in the Dolores office and boo to the Navajo office for trying to keep a licensed fisherman, who wants to give the state more money to be legal, off the water.

Ok, so after that we decided "what the hell, let's get some Walleye!" and went to Puett. I think that the problem I have when I'm hunting a fish I've never caught is that I try everything instead of sticking to good advice and being patient. We scrambled all over the lake throwing every kind of lure and trolling and doing everything EXCEPT what my buddies on the Western Slope Anglers Forum told me a year ago, "Work the rip-rap, slow and steady." When we did go to the rip rap and work some kastmasters slow and steady we had bites, but we were reeling too fast (to keep the heavy lures off the rocks) and they didn't result in fish. We're heading back out there soon to show those Walleye who is boss, but for tonight, let's let them enjoy their victory while they dine on Perch, Crawdads and baby Bass.

EDIT: Walleye do not exist, nor have they ever existed. They are a myth and should consequently be ignored.

Comments

Popular Posts