Puett & Totten

My friend Travis, of Fly Fish The San Juans fame, picked me up around 8 to head out to Puett for some Pike. We drove through some wild fog to get there and then worked the shore around the rip rap with streamers to no avail. Heading to the back of the lake we started catching hammer handle pike for a while between 11 and 1 with a few fish approaching the 25 inch mark. I switched to a grub tailed white soft bait that was pretty big and did very well, it reminded me of bass fishing on the east coast. I found a suspending jerk bait in the grass and after replacing the old rusty hooks and polishing 'er up it worked great. I used it from the shore at Totten to catch a sweet lil bass. 1 more pike at Totten and then we headed for home. I got a pic of my favorite sign. Another great spring day on the water is followed by a reflective beer and memories of my first fishing experiences. The creek on which I grew up in the pines of South Jersey seemed to have a constant battle between Chain Pickerel and Largemouth Bass. A spring day catching close relatives of both of these just felt right. Sure the elegance of fly fishing is gorgeous, the elusive and picky trout is one classy game, but there's certainly a lot of fun to be had targeting fish who are the apex predators of their worlds.

Comments

Popular Posts