Vallecito Kokes and How To Kill A Sunnie

One of the hardest things about Vallecito is deciding how you're going to fish and what you're going to catch. It is a world class fishery for so many different species that you really have to focus on what it is you're trying to haul in. We were after Kokanee Salmon, however, we ended up stopped at a few places, jigging, tossing soft baits and trying a few crank baits in hope for big trout or smallmouth bass. Once we found the Kokes we hooked up a few nice ones (A nice Kokanee is 14" long, 18" is a pig) which we'll be enjoying for dinner. On the west side around the red cliffs area I caught a nice rainbow and saw another that was huge. I need to revisit that spot (which can be fished from shore) again soon. For the Kokes we used the same kinda rig as before, and we bought some flashers at Vallecito that are locally made, imagine that!

In other news... I've been wanting to eat a few Bluegill out of Pastorius. I grew up catching them but never brought them to the plate so I'd kinda like to try. I was thinking that it'd be hard to whack a fish like this over the head like you can easily do with large trout, or swiftly break its neck like you can with small trout or salmon... So I looked it up. Essentially, according to what I read after a quick Google search, I'm a big sissy for asking the question at all, but I still want to know. Call me a pinko commie whatever, but I don't really like things that I kill and eat to suffer any longer than they have to. I've seen what Osprey do to fish, it's horrific and beautiful, but I like to think of the fish I catch as the "lucky ones" who get a swift death compared to the gruesome agony of being and Osprey's dinner (I wish PETA would start hassling Ospreys instead of Restaurants that serve Foie Gras.)

So nail me up, I wanna kill my Sunnies humanely you cruel bunch of sadistic hillbillies! Any ideas?

Comments

  1. ohhhhh on the Sunnies, duuuuh, I thought you meant to bleed out the Kokes so they taste better.. Duh... hey thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For both purposes. They die faster and taste better. I do it to all fish that I plan on eating. The back edge of a big fillet knife right bove the eye's will get the fins twitching(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah gotcha. I have a whackin' stick for walleye, pike, etc, I just gotta get more accurate with it so I don't break a finger :) Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts