Vallecito Report

We decided since we dished out the cash to the Pine River Irrigation District for a permit to use a lake that is full of fish that Parks and Wildlife stocks, we might as well use the damn thing. Feel free to comment on the Bureau of Rec or PRID below... We ended up camping up in the burn area because there was nowhere open to camp on the lake. We did find some stellar places to camp nearby, I won't publish them here directly, but if you'd like to know, drop me a line.

The fishing was excellent. We caught several nice Rainbows, some really big, a couple browns, some Kokanee and 1 Smallmouth Bass. What a gorgeous fishery! I applaud the great work the DOW has done with this lake since the fires and I'm happy to say it's one of the best places to fish in the area. Some of the downsides of the lake include the fee to use it, no beaching of boats allowed, and the mish mash of management and general ill feeling from the locals toward the management situation... I was and am hesitant to write about what is really a gut feeling of unfriendliness but I think next year I'll spend my $50 on a New Mexico fishing license and fish Navajo.

Like a good looking lady with a bad personality...

Hope the PRID doesn't make a new rule making Osprey pay a "Nest Fee"

Smallie!

Comments

  1. Eric, Thank you for the page, I like it and I am definitely thinking of heading up there next month. I would like to know the stellar places to camp that you mentioned. I am bringing a party of 8 that would much rather be at a primitive site with plenty of trees and hopefully lake access not too far from our campsite. Also, you mentioned that they charge a fee for lake access, is that a daily fee per person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, A couple more things, what were the fish biting on and are there any fire restrictions at that lake?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts