Williams Creek Reservoir

We didn't have a lot of time out there as we waited out storms most of the time, but the little fishing we did resulted in some really nice fish, beautiful cuts, cutbows, rainbows, and big brookies were having a feeding frenzy (as were the swallows) from some sort of buglife hatching between storms. It was lights out and then after the storms when the skies cleared... nothing! That's when I took the boat out and got us Kokanee for dinner. Thanks to the plethora of info I've found online and some chats with the good folks on the Western Slope Anglers forum, I feel like I can catch those shiny lil' freaks any time I want now. In my haste I almost forgot to mention what was working. Silver Kastmaster, 1/8oz size. I caught a few on big bead head nymphs in the muddy water along the edge with my trusty little flyrod. It is getting its brookie workout early this year. Kokanee were biting an orange wedding ring behind some flashers. I shortened the leader from flashers to wedding ring by about 2 feet making it 18" or so.. I did it because I made a snarl of leader in my wedding ring box, but it works. I noticed a few times that I would go slow slow slow and then suddently speed up to do a turn and once even when I went to shore to pick up Lis. Right on the speedup they'd whack it. That's why they tell you to do S turns but this speedup was much more abrupt and severe and triggered a strike every time. Oh yeah, don't forget your Anise Soaked Shoepeg Corn! I took the boat to the rip rap and hopped out to check out the dam. Dam! that's a neat spillway. I ran back to the boat quickly because I had images of it floating past and down the spillway. It looks like it would be a fun ride, but the hole at the bottom might not let go of ya. I saw some neat Osprey action and some realy beautiful views. I like it there.

Comments

Popular Posts