Tuesday & Weds After Work Fun At Pastorius

Both yesterday and today I hit the water around 5 just as the wind was dying down. The fishing was pretty good and I was surprised to catch rainbow trout of many sizes. At about dusk that lake really starts to boil this time of year, I saw little midges and mayflies but I couldn't get anything to take mine (although I must admit I didn't try very hard) I have trouble fly fishing for the sake of fly fishing when I know I can catch the fish using another method. I realize this logic eventually leads down the satanic and immoral road of Powerbait, but we all have to draw the line somewhere. I used a Dynamic Lures HD Trout. Amazing lure. The first one I bought a few weeks ago caught me a bass and then I lost it. My new batch (a glimmer trout, natural trout and black/silver) did what they're supposed to do and that is pack the cooler with trout. Today I caught a 20" Rainbow in there that must have been brood stock that they put in. I found that it was already dragging 2 heavy split shots from a little octopus hook that was in its mouth. I have no idea how this fish broke off this person's line which was like 234982039842 pound test. I pity people who have to fish like that. I should have cut the line and forgot about it but I extracted the hook that was already in the fish and the fish bled out :( Oh well, I got to practice my filleting skills and have some nice trout fillets to throw in the pan tomorrow. I typically will not keep trout this size, they seem to taste better a little smaller, but the fillets look pretty swanky!

I noticed that the birds seem to be gone. There are plenty of coots and some Ibis making an amazing racket near the inlet but the Osprey and Bald Eagles were conspicuously absent. Maybe the crowds? It is very very very crowded out there, and I wish I could say it was crowded with cool sportsmen, but no such luck. It seems to be the bottom of the great barrel of society (what does that make me?!?!) that blast their car stereos, scream, yell, cuss, holler and just generally act like douchebags. Moral of the story: fish early, it seems that people with no class don't like being on the water that early and the lake is nice and quiet.

Comments

Popular Posts