Vallecito Kokes, Free Fishing....

We need a longer net. Watching us trying to net these wiley kokanee with a fly fishing hand net is like watching someone try to tap dance on oiled ice. They just come unbuttoned! We hooked lots, netted a few and had a nice dinner. They were only biting an orange wedding ring, Lisa had green out and they hardly touched it. We were catching them very close to the surface. Makes me think back to when people were telling me "you can't catch kokes without a fish finder or downrigger" Hmmm, don't have either but manage to put a lot of salmon on the plate. Not to say we won't catch more with those handy items, but for now we got a little boat, a little luck, and each other. Works out just fine.

Oh yeah! In all this net drivel I forgot.. THE BOAT IS DONE! Transom is build and installed , seams are sealed, all is well in boatland. We picked up a little 2hp on Craigslist, it's no ferrari but the boat moves well. I ended up just reusing the old cast brackets. I just bolted them down and pounded them into shape, anxious to get on the water. With all said and done, the cracked one is still cracked, however it is holding fast. The boat's rear end is more solid than that of a marathon running aerobics instructor.

Free fishing anyone? Semi regular followers of this blog will have already determined the fact that I almost neurotically try to avoid crowds. Crowds are for cities, seeing them at lakes, rivers, forests, well.. like the pirate with the steering wheel in his pants said... "IT DRIVES ME NUTS." I think we're gonna head up to the high country and do a little brookie fishin where we can avoid the crowds of vallecito, lemon, McPhee and other local casting puddles. It's free fishing weekend so no license required today. I wonder if that means I can troll with 2 rods without having my extra rod stamp? Why didn't I buy an extra rod stamp this year?

Comments

Popular Posts