Wind and Waves At Vallecito

We took the boat complete with new depthfinder / fishfinder working motor, charged battery, and fishing rods. It has all come together just in time for us to really want a bigger boat. We got a late start on saturday and the wind was pretty bad. I learned that if I don't shut off my fuel line and the motor is tilted forward, I lose gas. Yep, the best lessons are learned the hard way. We did get into some Kokes and feed ourselves dinner. The following day was spent tinkering with the flooded motor and limping to the Doc's Marina to get fixed up. We forgot our gas can, yikes. Stan, the owner of the Marina let us borrow a gas tank and helped us out with the motor. The PRID guy came and helped us, hell even the ANS inspectors were helping. Everyone was really nice, and we got back on the water.

I like to kinda complain that they charge people to park on public land and access public fish. I realize that this water is owned by downstream irrigators, however, the dam was built with public funds by a federal agency paid for by our tax dollars. How far does this ownership go? Should the PRID be held responsible to get their water off people's parking lots in the winter? I've talked to lots of folks up there on both sides of the issue and what I've learned is that the issue is complex and there are some hurt feelings. My inner hippy wants these folks to all sit down and work it out, but hey, I'm after Kokanee, not politics.

The new PiranhaMAX 170 fishfinder from Hummingbird works great. It is truly an improvement to know your depth and seeing the schools of Kokanee on there is pretty exciting but frustrating when they're not biting. I kept yelling DRADIS CONTACT! (for all you Battlestar Glactica fans) when the schools would appear. We didn't catch more fish than before we had it, but it is nice to spot a school and fish to it instead of randomly happening upon them. I'd recommend a fish finder for any boat. I'd imagine that's like recommending air for any lung.

Comments

Popular Posts