Fishcakes

A second return to the east side of Vallecito reveals stockers and lots of them. Since CPW has been stocking larger rainbows in Vallecito to reduce pike predation, they're fun to catch and often pretty jumpy. There are also some lunkers running around. You'll recognize a stocker by its frequent lack of pectoral fins as well as unremarkable, dull color. One of my least favorite things about hatchery trout is their inability to be successfully released. They're often fatally damaged when caught, unless caught on very small barbless hooks. Their mouths are very delicate, so catching them really puts their survival chances in jeopardy. Ever see how fat the Osprey are around lakes with lots of stockers? It isn't like releasing a smallmouth bass or a pike, who will splash you in the face on their way out, full of life and tenacity.

My solution to stockers, so that nothing goes to waste, is to make fishcakes. My buddy Alex gave me the general recipe a couple years ago and I've been tinkering ever since. Cook your fish (I bake mine at 400 for about 15 mins) and then take the meat off the bones. Mix in garlic, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt, minced mushrooms, and egg. Make little cakes, bread them and fry'em up. One of the most delicious ways to eat fish that might not be the most remarkable tasting. I don't mean to belittle the great work CPW does with fish stocking programs, really... I love my Kokanee, we all know that. I am just not a fan of the Rainbow Trout. It doesn't taste as good as a Brookie, it doesn't fight as well as a Bass, and it doesn't have the voracious nature of a Brown. This is a fish that can not and will not survive in the area without constant help from government agencies. Wouldn't it be more sustainable and cheaper to stock fish that can reproduce naturally? If the concern is its impact on native fish, then just stock cutthroats and be done with it. The Rainbow Trout is one Californian that I wouldn't mind seeing pack its bags and head back to the west side of the Sierras. Honestly, if I never caught another Rainbow in my life, I don't think I'd mind.

Editor's Note: In the time since this post, the author has caught a 24" and a 30" Rainbow Trout. He has consequently kept his big mouth shut, and now enjoys fishing for Rainbow Trout

Comments

Popular Posts