Vallecito

I got into a bit of Maker's Mark on Friday night which may account for me missing quite a few strikes saturday morning, but I did catch a crazy fighting Rainbow. He was only 18" but I should have tested him for PEDs because I've never seen a fish fight quite so hard. It made the wet rags on the Juan look like.. well.. wet rags. I tried my hand at butteryflying a trout, something I've wanted to try for a while. I've always had a bit of a fish bone issue from a childhood of filleting flounder ("DON'T MISS THE BONES OR YOU'LL CHOKE ON ONE AND DIE!" said my grandmother.) Over the years I got around this issue with the help of hundreds of Trout and I think I'm all better now. That being said, the idea of an entire Trout 100% deboned and then stuffed with good stuff was pretty enticing. Butterflying isn't easy, but with a sharp knife and a relatively steady hand you can make a job of it. I didn't take pictures this time around because I was afraid of making the fish look like Dali's worst on my first attempt. It actually came out really nice. I also filleted a smaller Bow and made a pretty swanky fish dish with it. I hesitate to call it "Asian" merely because it uses Soy Sauce and Ginger, but for lack of a better word, I guess that's what it'll be.

Sauce
1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
1 tsp sugar
Pinch salt

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer gently until reduced by 1/2. Strain out ginger.

For the fish you'll need a 12-14" Trout, filleted. Some Green Onion, Cilantro and Diced Serrano Peppers and Rice Vinegar. Chop all these ingredients. Salt the fillets liberally. Heat a skillet with oil (you can melt some butter in the oil too, I won't tell) once the oil is just about to start smoking, throw in the fish, skin side down. Time varies based on the thickness of the Trout, but usually it's about 2 and a half minutes on the skin side. Flip the fish and finish the other side. One more flip back to the skin side and then top each fillet on the meat side with the Cilantro, Onion, Pepper and Rice Vinegar mixture. On more brief flip to bind these ingredients to the fish, scoop out and place on rice or potatoes, skin side up. Drizzle sauce and serve. I like to do this kind of thing for a first course.

Comments

Popular Posts