The wind cries skunky...

Groundhog Reservoir has always been one of my favorite places to catch dinner. The trout there are either natural reproductions or stocked as fingerlings, so they've known very little of the concrete raceway. They eat a diet rich in crayfish and perhaps some sort of shrimp that make their meat salmon colored and very tasty. All this plus they are just damn easy to catch. My father-in-law showed us the ropes there, fishing black jigs slowly along the rip rap and pulling in our limit quickly and wondering what to do with the rest of the day.

That's the usual story anyway. Sunday and today were a different story! The barometer was rising the entire time we were there from the high 30.05 to 30.25 by this afternoon (3 day history is useful at NOAA) and the temperatures had dropped. Friday and Saturday saw intense high winds. I was wearing a blue shirt. Any of these factors could have played in, I've heard reliable good fishermen tell me high pressure is when to fish and I've heard the same said about low pressure. Truth be told? I dunno, you tell me, feel free to comment.

In other news, I fly fished a few creeks and the Dolores with small PMDs and Caddis but found the water to be moving fairly quick. I was not motivated to try anything subsurface probably because of my post-skunk-hangover.

Comments

Popular Posts