Vallecito Ice Report and Corn.

Fishing was slow, and that's to be expected with the clear sunny sky and cold high pressure. There were some folks in our normal spot where we wanted to go for Kokanee, so we headed down the rip rap where it was pretty slow but I pulled out this nice male Rainbow with a little pink jig tipped with a piece of anise soaked corn. Which brings me to my next point...

People say things. It's amazing the odd things they say. On my way out I stopped over by where we normally fish to ask these guys if they'd caught Kokanee. One of the local fellas asked me what I used to catch my fish and I said "A little pink jig tipped with a piece of corn." "Don't let the game warden catch you... corn is illegal to use, you'll get 5 years in prison!" I resisted the urge to laugh and tell the guy he was batshit crazy, so I just said "corn is legal to use as bait in Colorado" and ended with that. I was told about a local who was arrested for using corn as bait. Funny, because during my research on how to catch Kokanee last year, I looked up the regs to make sure corn is legal to use, because the Kokes love it. So, before you say anything to someone about what is legal, please READ THE REGS.

Note: I sent an email off to our local CPW Biologist about the corn thing. Corn is legal. Celebrate!

Comments

Popular Posts