Vallecito, recipes!

Too much of a good thing

It's been rough for a little while. We had so much moisture that the lake came up very drastically, so places where we stood in early September are now 20 feet below the surface. For whatever reason, temperature, clarity, just change in pressure, the fish have been sporadic at best. During the transition we had several very slow days. I think I can safely say it is over for now, and it's hog season! We've had several very large fish on the hook in the the last 3 or 4 days. Male Kokanee, with their bizzare jaws jutting out in a toothy grin, are hitting wooly buggers and generally going nuts. It's just been really really fun. I've been using red-lead eyed mini clouser-buggers in a maroon color with a gold wire. I haven't read the temperature but whatever it is, the Smallmouth don't seem to be biting anymore.. Maybe I've gotta fish lower, and slower. I didn't manage to bag an Elk, so it's time to start bringing home some fish goodies. One of the hens we brought home for dinner was full of eggs, so I made Ikura. It is absolutely delicious. I sadly have not fished the Animas in some time but I bet Sculpins are getting smacked right now. This, ladies and gentlemen, is my favorite time of year to fish. Put on some long johns, get some good gloves, bundle up and get out there!

Male Kokanee on wooly bugger.


Brown Trout on Silver Kastmaster.


Brown Trout Filets


Trout Cake, Cocktail Sauce, Poached Egg, Cured Trout Roe


Fat Rainbow

The Video


General Tso's Trout!

Comments

Popular Posts