The Crowded San Juan

It's my own stupid fault for going to the Juan on a Sunday. I describe it as "an enormous crowd of people who don't like crowds" Sure, we all wanna fish, and sure the new braids work attracts a lot of folks, but sheesh, when fishing becomes so crowded that it loses the magic that only comes with flowing water and a bit of solitude, then is it really fishing or is it what a friend of mine calls "trophy hunting at the zoo?"
We managed to have a couple pools to ourselves for brief periods in which I caught a couple pigs, so that was nice. Egg/Midge combo. I picked up a couple egg midge combos from fishermen who left them in a fish. I also lost a few in the Russian Olives. I think I broke even on flies, the big fish on the Juan are a virtual flyshop. All this being said and I will remark that most of the rest of the river was pretty empty. I know that they're all nice people and that I'm there taking up space like everyone else. In the future I'll avoid the place on weekends or at least fish one of the less crowded spots which are abundant.

Comments

Popular Posts