Brookies on dries!!!

I genuinely enjoy just about any kind of fishing. I like jigging soft baits, trolling, casting flies, whizzin crankbaits, you name it, but I think summer dry fly fishing is my favorite of all. (Or top water bass fishing which isn't entirely unlike dry fly fishing) As the snowpack was a bit less than average this year we got an early melt and the rivers are settling down and the bugs are coming out. I fished my favorite little mountain stream today and brought home some brookies for dinner. They were taking the usual, big ugly stimulators, elk hair caddis, hoppers. I examined the stomach of one of the trout and found it full of just about every kind of insect you can imagine and 1 caterpillar.

My little Cabela's TQR rod finally got to be used for the purpose for which it was invented, and performed wonderfully. The most noticable improvement over a longer rod is found just walking around, I find myself not even thinking about the rod in my hand because I don't end up poking/snagging stuff or catching it behind me. The most noticable thing in the other direction is that when you need to sneak up to a pool there may be several currents crossing between you and the pool. High sticking is limited at best with a 5 foot rod. All in all, I'm impressed.

I've eaten quite a few Brookies and I must confess to being kind of sick of the old standard salt pepper and lemon fry or bake'em whole and call it good. I wanted to try something a bit different so I tried my friend Johnny's Vietnamese style cerviche. It was damn good. Just mix up your just cooked fish with some muddled cilantro, garlic, maybe a touch of ginger, some hot pepper sauce (Sirachi works great) and a thimble of fish sauce. Cover generously with lime juice, salt, chill and serve. It ain't bad, kids.

Comments

Popular Posts