Animas south of town

Today was a remarkably gorgeous day on the Animas. On the way to the Ute waters, I crossed over Ridges Basin and took a look at Lake Nighthorse. Lickin my chops looking at the blue waters full of growing fish who have never seen a lure. The schools of Kokanee in there must be getting large, I can't wait to see the size of them. The dreamer in me is picturing 20" Salmon with big juicy fillets.

Oh yeah, speaking of dreaming, I got off topic. There were people fishing in most of the spots I passed, since I got a late start. That's ok.. It's Saturday. Instead of interrupt someone's blissful uncrowded day, I just headed south until I found a Ute access with no one fishing. The section I fished is shallow with small pockets. I caught a few tiny stockers and then a few 12-14" fish, who were fatter not bad fighters for little guys. I didn't catch any monsters worthy of mention here, but all in all had a great day. I tried many different flies but it was a little brown mayfly that worked. The Osprey were flying, the Cottonwoods glowing a divine gold, and the ripples made their way slowly down to New Mexico. A bad day fishing, ya know?

There's a lot of silt built up along the edges. 1 year without high water and it fills in pretty quick. Oh well, it'll be raging again soon.

Comments

Popular Posts