Fun with Sculpin

The Animas is packed with Sculpin. I've always heard that the Animas, because of its high concentration of heavy metals, is a bad place for natural fish reproduction. I thought at first "ok, sounds reasonable," but then started to think about the large suckers I've pulled off the bottom. They're certainly not stocked. The little rainbows in Lightner Creek? They're not stocked. The Brookies up above Rockwood. They're not stocked. Oh yeah, and the veritable riot of Sculpins... they seem to be reproducing nicely.

Travis (www.flyfishthesanjuans.com) took me for a Sculpin lesson this morning on the Animas. I learned some techniques that I'd never thought would work that produced big hits for me. I learned some patterns that would normally scare me away. I also learned that I'm a little slow on the strike trying to strip, manage the line and pay attention all at the same time. I had a fish slap my Sculpin in just about every pocket into which it was thrown, but I have nothing to show for it, apart from a burning desire to go back and show those big mommas who is boss. Sculpins are pretty neat, read about them here.

Comments

Popular Posts