And I did it myyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaay!

I don't think I actually have a way, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it is when someone sees a fish picture and says something stupid like "nice, did you catch it on the fly?" as if bobber fishing is some great and noble cause. Sure, maybe if you're fishing size 24 dries in difficult water using 7x trying to land 2 footers there's something special about it, but if you ask me, properly fishing a jig on light spinning gear is every bit as challenging as fly fishing. Fly fishing, they say, is more than just catching fish (stuuuuupid) it's about knowing the food chain, and reading the water. These are both necessary when fishing with spinning gear as well. If one looked a little deeper they'd find that one of the most abundant food sources in the Animas is the Sculpin. My black and olive jigs sure look a lot like sculpin. Why would anyone would want to give themselves an achey shoulder throwing something like that with a flyrod? I would suspect some gross inadequacy in their life makes them need to brag about catching fish "on the fly."

I caught a bunch of fish today on the Animas and it was a wonderful time while waiting for my brakes to be done at Big O. (Big O has moved, by the way, they're down by Walmart, where I think the fishing is a bit better too) I actually did catch more fish using flies (egg patter, midges, and cased caddis) but the real fish I caught using a tiny 1/32oz black jig on ultra light spinning gear. What a truly fun and exciting way to catch fish, and my single hook is just as barbless as yours. I took Lisa's new flyrod for a spin and landed some beautiful fish on it, I am a fan. Cabela's replaced her old rod with a RLS Combo which has a swanky large arbor reel and a nice 4wt rod that did a great job protecting tippet today. All in all it was a wonderful day. I pondered what a great time that I had jig fishing, I pondered how empty the river was. I welcomed the overcast skies that always seem to send the fish to the net. I thought about the dirty looks I get from snooty fly fishermen when I go down to the river with my spinning rod. I wonder how many of them have landed an 11 pounder on 5x? Fishing is so much more than just fly fishing or just spinner fishing, it is an all encompassing science of observation, it is sometimes luck, and it is a joyful way of life. Fish on, no matter how you fish! (Unless you use powerbait, then you're just worthless....)

Comments

Popular Posts